If you’ve been following along on Instagram or Facebook, then you know this week’s focus is on digestion! Proper digestion, absorption and assimilation of nutrients, as well as excretion of toxins and metabolic byproducts, is critical for good health. Dr. Casey explains more in this video here:
Now, what are some simple ways to significantly improve your digestion?
Digestion Tips for Before and During Meals:
- Carve out time for your meals – avoid eating “on the run” but instead choose to sit down, focus on and enjoy each meal.
- Enjoy the entire mealtime experience from the process of preparing to the actual eating of food – the sounds, smells, sight, taste, etc.
- Try to get yourself in a relaxed, calm and appreciative state prior to meals. Digestion does not work properly without the body being relaxed. You can try taking 10 deep, belly breaths with long exhales, saying a word of gratitude, or any other activity that you find calms you,
- Avoid distractions while eating, such as the TV, cell phone or computer.
- Listen to your body and try to eat when you are truly hungry (i.e. avoid eating out of boredom, etc).
- Chew food thoroughly; it should be in a liquid state before swallowing.
- Avoid beverages with meals, but drink plenty of water between meals.
- Avoid tight clothing around the waist.
- If you tend to overeat: Stop eating when you start to feel full. Avoid the urge to “clean your plate” but instead save leftovers for a future meal.
Most importantly – have fun and enjoy your meals! Try sharing recipes with friends or experimenting with new ingredients and spices. Food is meant to be shared and loved.
Additional support for digestion:
Depending on your symptoms, you may want to try drinking a small amount of Apple Cider Vinegar (~1tsp) in a bit of water before meals, or taking some bitter herbs before meals. In addition, stomach acid (HCL) and pancreatic digestive enzymes can be supplemented for further support. Work with your Naturopathic Doctor to determine which, if any, supplementation is best for you. To schedule an appointment at Rhode Island Natural Medicine, just visit this page.
Happy eating AND digesting!
One thought on “Simple Steps for Improving Digestion”